This Arbiter Fuzz Face Clone is based on the classic Dallas Arbiter Fuzz and uses your choice of either NOS Germanium (AC128) PNP transistors or Silicon BC588 PNP Transistors and is powered from the negative rail (must use a different adapter from pedals that take 9V center negative power, ie. Boss and One Spot). We also have the Face the Fuzz, which uses your choice of either NOS Germanium (AC128) PNP transistors or Silicon BC588 PNP Transistors as well BUT it CAN be used with standard CENTER NEGATIVE Boss or One Spot style adapter and CAN be daisy chained other like powered pedals. We also changed the output capacitor to pass more bass which gives a “fuller” tone.
When selecting Germanium transistors know that all versions of the Arbiter Fuzz Face Clone and the Face the Fuzz circuits come with hand-tested and selected premium AC128 NOS PNP transistors. We test all of our AC128’s for optimum gain and leakage current so that they are guaranteed to bias properly and sound great! We choose lower gain transistors for Q1 and higher for Q2 according to our strict standards. Be assured that you will be playing a premium product that takes the guess work out of Germanium transistor testing.
- 3 controls – Fuzz, Level, and internal trim pot – for precise biasing and tone control. Fuzz sends your tone from subtle to razor blades and Level adjusts your output level for boosts. On-board trim pot lets you adjust your output transistor bias level for a variety of new Fuzz tones!
- Kit includes NOS AC128 PNP Germanium transistors just like the original! (BC588 PNP silicon transistors can also be selected if a harsher distortion is what you are after)
- 3PDT switch allows for true bypass switching and LED indicator gives you a visual cue when your circuit is engaged and using power
- Dual power supplies (9V Battery and +9VDC =>200mA Center Positive DC Power Supplies) allow you to have the battery as backup or as the main power
- Input jack switching – No instrument cable plugged in, no power used. Save life on your expensive batteries!
- PCBs are professionally manufactured and designed here at Synthrotek. PCB silkscreen, through-hole components with careful on-board placement, and wire-tension relief holes were designed with the DIYer in mind!
- PCB Dimensions: 2.0″ x 1.5″
For the Fuzz Face circuit to be optimally biased, the collector of Q2 needs to be at 4.5 volts. (When connecting the Arbiter Fuzz Face Clone circuit to your multimeter as shown in the photos below your meter will read -4.5v) The 20K trim pot is used to dial in this value. You will need a multi-meter that reads DC voltage to accomplish this, which can be found very inexpensively at places like Harbor Freight Tools. All you need to do is connect your leads to a ground on the PCB and the collector of Q2 to get this reading. (Pedal must be powered on)